Cedar siding: Traditional Look that’s Always in Style
High quality siding can be a definitive feature of your property, and if you want to make a solid statement, cedar siding is an excellent choice. It has a warm and natural look, and is also one of the most durable types of exterior siding available on the market. Cedar adds character to any building, and provides a unique, distinguished look.
Cedar siding is made from the evergreen cedar tree, which produces so called “soft lumber”, which is why it is so lightweight and easy to work with. However, this wood is also very strong and durable, and also has a remarkable tight grain pattern that helps it hold its shape in any kind of weather extremes, making it perfect for the climate in Illinois.
Benefits of cedar siding
Cedar siding is an excellent choice that vastly increases the curb appeal of any home. Here are the qualities that make cedar siding perfect for protecting exteriors:
- Sustainable. Since cedar requires minimal processing and treatment, it produces the least solid waste and greenhouse gas as well as air and water pollution during the manufacturing process. Cedar siding is completely biodegradable when it serves its lifetime of use and lasts much longer than other wood counterparts.
- Beautiful. The unique, natural beauty of cedar has been used on buildings for ages and it blends in with almost any background. With a wide variety of styles, colors and types, each homeowner can find an option that fit their personality, as cedar materials can provide both a traditional and a modern look, depending on the style of the siding.
- Durable. This type of siding withstands weather extremes and is water, decay, fungi and bug resistant. It also doesn’t swell, bend or split, but to ensure maximum durability, it is best to coat the materials with a protective finish. Then all cedar siding requires is cleaning twice a year and regular inspections for termites and moisture. Given that you take good care of it, cedar siding can stay beautiful and last for decades.
- Naturally warm. Cedar has excellent insulating properties which makes it a perfect siding material. It keeps your house cool during summer and prevents warm air from escaping during cold winter months. Since wood siding protects the structure from excess water, heat and dryness, it therefore reduces chances of internal structure problems.
Cedar siding is naturally attractive - its grain is unique and not repetitive, as compared with synthetic materials, and natural wood ages beautifully, gradually fading to a grey, silver-like tone. Moreover, cedar is very stable and highly durable, since it contains tannic acid that is a natural preservative. It lasts well when exposed to all weather extremes and naturally insulates your home, helping you save considerable amounts of energy.
Comparison of cedar and other types of siding
When you are deciding between cedar and other types of siding, there are many factors to consider. Aside from aesthetic preferences, you most likely have certain budget expectations for the project, as well as features that you want your house to have.
Vinyl siding is among the cheapest - and cost effective - materials on the market. Being one of the most popular selections in the United States, it comes with a wide variety of colors, shapes and styles. It is also durable and modern vinyl siding often comes with a heat stabilizer to protect if from melting on hot summer days. However, plastic siding does not provide such aesthetic benefits as those of cedar, and is not quite as durable, long lasting and waterproof. While two houses covered in cedar siding will never look alike, houses, covered in vinyl tend to look quite identical.
Fiber cement, on the other hand, is more durable than cedar siding. It is also fire resistant and completely insect proof, can withstand harsh weather conditions. It doesn’t swell, mold or crack and modern fiber cement siding can replicate the look of painted wood almost indistinguishably. However, it cannot provide the natural color and warmth of wood siding, and is much heavier and thus harder to install.
While cedar siding is the most expensive of the three types, its natural qualities are unmatched by man made products. If you are not sure which type of siding is right for your home, you can always count on VIS Exterior to provide you with a solution, that meets your expectations and budget. We offer free inspections too, so don’t hesitate to contact us for expert advice.
Cedar siding maintenance
Siding and roofing products made from cedar contain natural oils that preserve its natural beauty and repel rot, mildew, pest and insects. However, cedar materials can lose these natural oils when it is not properly maintained, thus making it more prone to damage. Maintenance can slow down this process and help you maintain your exterior.
It is highly recommended to apply a coat of stain or paint on the materials prior to the installation of your new wood siding, and the manufacturer or installer usually takes care of that to ensure that your siding is well protected. In order to preserve the materials, it is recommended to reapply the paint or stain once every couple of years and arranging maintenance inspections once every year.
When installed and maintained properly, wood siding can last up to 75 years and provide your home not only with unmatched beauty, but with excellent protection against the elements and cold as well. When you’re in search of someone to take a look at your siding, call VIS Exterior. We will examine your siding carefully and honestly inform you of any imperfections. We also perform hail and wind inspections so that you would have reliable contractors for all of your siding needs.
Cedar siding grades
Cedar is rated in a grading system from “A” to “D”, where “A” represents the highest quality and “D” - the lowest quality. The main difference between these materials is that higher grades are clear, while lower grades are more knotty and have rough surface. The grade also affects the cedar siding cost, as lower grades cost less that higher ones.
Clear grades have few flaws and tend to give a more upscale look to a house while knotty grades contain knot holes that create a more casual feeling. Knotty cedar siding is an excellent choice when you’re looking to create a charming, rustic atmosphere for your house, cottage or cabin.
However, not all cedar siding materials posses the same weather-resistant properties and may differ greatly in quality, depending on their manufacturing process. This is exactly why we have selected only reliable and durable materials from top notch manufacturers to use in our projects. We want you to enjoy a beautiful new look of your house for years to come and be completely satisfied with this high-end siding product, which is why at VIS Exterior we complete all of our projects to the highest of standards.
Cedar siding styles
Cedar is valued for its natural beauty, color being a priority, which is why this type of siding is rarely painted over. However, while color options may be limited, there are many finish and style options to help you create the look that you want for your home.
Cedar siding comes with a variety of style choices:
- Bevel. This is the most common type, also known as clapboard. This type of cedar siding is available in both clear and knotty grades, and is installed horizontally, providing excellent shadow line. Both smooth and saw textured options are available on the market.
- Board and batten. Vertical design, created by installing wider boards spaced apart by narrower ones (battens). Both knotty and clear grades of cedar siding can be used in creating this pattern, but rough textures are more common.
- Tongue and groove is a popular choice for its versatility and good looks. It can be installed vertically, horizontally and diagonally, and different joint options provide even more opportunities to create a unique look.
- Lap comes with a variety of options. One of its more popular types is channel siding, and since it is installed in a way where one board overlaps another, this creates shadow line effects and knotty variations are perfect wherever a rustic atmosphere is desired.
- Trim boards create a more defined, clean look of the finest quality.
- Shingles and shakes. These two products are a great way to create an inspired look for your house since they create a unique and timeless facade. Even though they require more skill and experience to install and can be more costly than other cedar siding types, it is well worth the investment. With cedar shakes and shingles, your house gets a one of a kind character and is easily distinguishable from any other house in your neighbourhood.
No matter which option of cedar siding you choose, it is bound to make your house look beautiful and stand out from the rest of the neighbourhood.
Cedar siding installation and replacement services
Preserved by its own natural properties, cedar siding is durable and has excellent insulating properties that are unique to this material. However, most of cedar siding problems are related to improper installation and maintenance. This means that you have control over how long your new siding is going to last by choosing experienced siding contractors.
Cedar shake siding installation is the most complex type of siding projects, and typically requires the touch of a professional contractor to be done correctly. While vinyl or fiber cement materials are prefabricated in a way that each piece fits the next one perfectly, cedar requires careful installation and ensuring, that there is little or almost no space between the pieces. Sealant has to be applied in between the spaces to prevent moisture from undermining it. Cedar siding contractors at VIS Exterior have over 20 years of experience in installing these materials and can free you of the worries you may face if you install your siding yourself.
We are proud to say that we work with exterior cedar siding that is made by top-notch manufacturers, such as CertainTeed. Most of the materials we install come with manufacturer warranties, and the quality of our meticulous cedar siding services is second to none. We believe in honest and clear pricing, and offer free inspections so that you can know the cost of your project upfront.
Cedar siding installation can be a long lasting and beautiful investment for your home if it’s installed and maintained properly. Take control over how long your new siding lasts by choosing trustworthy, experienced siding contractors at VIS Exterior.
Cedar siding experts
Maximizing the advantages of cedar siding means that it needs to be installed and maintained properly. Since doing this ensures protecting your investment, it is essential to trust your project to cedar siding experts.
We are a roofing and siding company, in business since 2001, and over our years of service we have completed over 500 successful projects. We specialize in transforming the exteriors around DuPage County, Cook County, Kane County and Will County, and our service range includes not only siding and roofing, but replacement windows, gutters installation, hail and wind damage inspections as well.
Our team is meticulous, clean and focuses on customer satisfaction primarily, so you can be sure that we will work hard to meet and exceed your expectations. Call us at 630-230-8533 and let’s talk about your project!