VIS Exterior Corp. installs only heavy-gauge aluminum seamless gutters and downspouts. All of our guttering systems are custom fabricated on site and installed by our fully trained and experienced installers. VIS Exterior Corp. recommends this gutter brand:
Gutters: materials, types, sizes, profiles
Rain gutters are an essential part of roofing system protecting building‘s foundation by collecting and diverting rainwater away from a house. Gutters also help to reduce erosion, keep basements and crawl spaces dry and protect houses‘ facades and windows from water. Therefore gutters installation or replacement is a long-term investment in the infrastructure of your house.
Gutters differ by materials, types, sizes and shapes (profiles).
Gutters and downspouts can be constructed from a variety of materials, including copper, zinc, galvanized steel, plastic and wood, but aluminum gutters are the most popular. Aluminum gutters:
- are lightweight;
- are easily maintained;
- are available in wide range of colors;
- are low cost;
- never rust.
- Gutters material thickness – although gutters in .019 in are available, we recommend to choose material that has a minimum .032 in thickness.
- Gutters material quality – choose primary aluminum avoiding the secondary one.
- Gutters color – if you don‘t want the gutters to dominate the facade, choose color that blends in with your house.
There are two types of gutters: sectional and seamless (continuous). Sectional gutters come in various lengths and must be joined together during gutters installation. A bad thing is that there is a potential for leaks through all those seams. Seamless gutters are custom made from a single piece to the specific length from corner to corner. They don't have seams which could potentially leak and require minimal maintenance. Actually they do have seems, but only at the corners. Seamless gutters are the most popular type of gutters used today.
There are a lot of gutter shapes, but the most common are: K-style, U-style and Fascia style. Gutters are sized considering to a roof area they drain. Usually gutters are available diameters 4 to 6 in. Downspouts are chosen to fit the channel size. 5 in K-style gutters are the most common.
Gutters installation contractor
Although gutters are relatively small part of roofing system, they can cause many issues, when they fail. To avoid water getting to your living areas and basement, eroding away your driveways and pathways old, damaged or defective gutters should be replaced within a shortest possible time. Gutter system must be well designed and installed to operate properly, so most often gutters are installed by professionals. The performance of gutter system depends on many different factors, so choosing the right one for your house should be mutual decision between you and gutters installer. Professional gutters contractor will help choosing suitable type, size of gutters and downspout.
- Open rain gutters should be cleaned at least twice a year: in spring and in fall. Depending on local conditions, additional cleaning also may be required.
- If you are planning a new roof and new gutters system, consider to complete these things simultaneously: most contractors provide roofing and gutters installation services.